Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lost Boys of Sudan


When I heard about going to America, I was really excite because the people said that America is like heaven. I thought that I could finally get out of the refugee camp and start a new life. But when I got there, I realized that heaven doesn’t exist in the world. The weeks that I have been spending in America I was in culture shock All the things that I saw were new, and amazing. The food that I ate was really good, and when it was my first day of work; I was amazed by how fast the people work in the factories. But at the same time, I felt that I was left over. Wherever I go, all the people look at me and say that I will beat them up just because I am a black person.

Another thing that was hard for me to do was to deal about money. I thought it was easy for me to send money to my family, but it was hard and I was too busy. Also, I thought I could have a better life in America, but I have to pay the money for school, for my house, and have to buy food for myself. Since I m going to school, I don’t have enough time to go to work, so it is hard for me to send money to my family. There were a lot of stereotypes that made me feel like that I don’t fit in America. At school, a lot of people are having boyfriends and girlfriends, but I can’t even make a friend at the first place. All the teachers look at me and talk to me like I am a kindergartener, which made me feel that I’m not good educated enough to be in high school. When I tried out for basketball, all the things that I learned new were the things that most of the other people already know. It is hard for me to fit in. when a friend of mine asked me about my home country, and asked me how I ran away from the bombs, how I knew that my father died, and when she said “I can understand your feelings” I was depressed. I know it’s not her fault that she really doesn’t understand my feelings, it still made me sad. I didn’t want her to say that word. In her whole life, I know that she will never understand a 4-year-old boy running away from bombs and losing your family at once. I realized that we live in a totally different world. I felt that I want to go back to Dinka and see my family.

Now, I have graduated school and made my way to tackle; university. I am going to start a new life in university, but always remember the things that I have gone through in America, and of course in Sudan; Dinka.

No comments:

Post a Comment