Thursday, February 18, 2010

Julius Caesar: Solo

Act 3.1 pages 118-120 line 183-210

Antony; I doubt not of your wisdom.
Let each man render me his bloody hand.
First, Marcus Brutus, will I shake with you;
Next Caius Cassius, do i take your hand;
Now, Decius Brutus, yors; now yours, Metellus;
Yours, Cinna; and, my valiant Casca, yours;
Though last, not least in love, yours, good Trebonius.
Gentalmen all- alas, what shall I say?
My credit now stands on such slippery ground,
That one of two bad ways you must conceit me,
Either a coward, or a flatterer.
That I did love thee, caesar, O,`tis true!
If then thy spirit look upon us now,
Shall it not grieve thee dearer than thy death,
To see thy Antony making his peace,
Shaking the bloody fingers of thy foes,
Most noble, in the presence of thy corse?
Had I as many eyes as thou hast wounds,
weeping as fast as they stream forth thy blood,
It would become me better than to close
In terms of friendship with thine enemies.
Pardon me, Julius! Here was thou bay'd, brave heart;
Here didst thou fall; and here thy hunters stand,
Sign'd in thy spoil, and crimson'd in thy lethe.
O world, thou wast the forest to this heart;
And this indeed, O world, the heart of thee.
How like a deer, strucken by many princes,
Dost thou here lie!


The passage that I choose is significant because it is the part where Caesar is already killed and Antony says he will be on the conspirators side, when really he thinks that there are no one better than Caesar. It shows that Antony really loved Caesar, and although he shook hands with the conspirators, I can tell that he won't be with the conspirators. It is using a dramatic irony, where we can tell that Antony is up to something, but the conspirators don't.

I will work it by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment